A 20-year veteran of the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), Richard brings extensive investigative experience on complex export compliance matters to Braumiller Consulting’s clients.
Richard’s BIS roles include Special Agent, Senior Special Agent and Resident Special Agent in Charge (SAC) gave him significant insight into both administrative and criminal violations of the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA). As an investigator, Richard has:
- Neutralized Chinese military diversion of exports of oil field and industrial equipment to the embargoed nations of Libya, Iran and Syria.
- Investigated the largest case in the history of the Libyan embargo which concerned a Stafford, Texas company responsible for exporting nearly 30 million dollars of products to the Great Man-Made River Project in Libya. The case resulted in criminal convictions, denial of export privileges and administrative fines against the defendants and denial of export privileges and administrative fines against the company.
- Destroyed a Galveston, Texas diversion ring sending controlled computers to Chinese nuclear end-users, executing a search warrant of the suspect’s home business, seizing his bank account, vehicle and the last computer destined for a Chinese nuclear facility via Hong Kong.
- Conducted administrative investigations of Halliburton Logging Services and Halliburton Geophysical Services resulting in administrative fines of $2.6 million dollars.
- Conducted twelve congressional investigations requested by U.S. Congressman Tom Lantos of California regarding possible illegal shipments to Iran.
Richard’s work also included writing investigative reports, administrative warning letters, administrative case reports, criminal case reports, search warrant affidavits and among other government reports. He participated in and supervised the detention and seizure of outbound air and ocean cargo.
Richard is considered an expert in advanced investigative techniques and extensive training experience on these techniques. His education experience include training other OEE special agents, ICE and FBI special agents and presenting these techniques to the Directorate of Intelligence, Central Intelligence Agency personnel. He taught officials of the Government of Albania regarding export compliance issues under a Department of State contract with Raytheon in conjunction with the Potomac River Group LLC., Leesburg, Virginia.
- Former Special Agent, OEE, BXA (Bureau of Export Administration, predecessor of BIS), USDOC, San Jose, California for two years where Richard worked several high-profile cases.
Richard holds Top Secret-SCI national security clearance. His numerous awards and honors over the years includes d has received numerous award and honors over the years including, the Bronze Medal for Investigative Excellence, U.S. Department of Commerce; Silver Medal for Investigative Excellence, U.S. Department of Commerce; Gold Medal for Investigative Excellence, U.S. Department of Commerce; and Award for Investigative Excellence, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Washington, D.C.
Richard has a BA from the University of Texas, Austin.